Monday, July 28, 2014

Disadvantages to Cloth Diapering

Even though there are many advantages to cloth diapering, there are a few disadvantages as well.  However, I believe those disadvantages are so minor, and that the advantages far outweigh them.

One disadvantage is that cloth diapering is more work because you have to wash the diapers.  True.  However, a few more loads of laundry a week is not that much work when you consider that it takes me about 30 seconds to throw them in the washer, another 20 seconds to throw them into the dryer, and then a few more seconds to toss them into a basket for my children to fold and put away.  Even my toddler likes to help with this job.  It is really not a big deal at all, especially with my simple system of diapering that keeps the poop off of the diapers. 

Another disadvantage is that it takes longer to change baby's diaper using cloth than it does using disposable diapers.  True!  I timed myself, and it takes me about 30-45 seconds to change my baby's cloth diaper.  With a disposable, it takes me about 10 seconds.  So, it does take me a little longer per diaper change, which is just more quality time i get with my baby while I sing and talk to her.

The final disadvantage is that clothes sometimes don't fit as well over cloth diapers.  Cloth diapers are, after all, a little bulkier than disposables. However, the cuteness factor of a baby in a cloth diaper outweighs this, in my opinion!
Disadvantages to cloth diapers

No comments:

Post a Comment